Summer Sun...Our Favorite Love/Hate Relationship
Oh how we love the way the sun feels, but
oh how we hate what it does...
to our skin, that is.
Yes, the sun does make flowers bloom and trees grow, but flora was designed for that purpose. Human skin on the other hand, was not designed to withstand the effects of prolonged exposure to the sun, especially lighter skin.
But if feels sooo good, how bad can it really be? Let me tell you about my hot tub. It lives in my backyard covered with a Kevlar cover. That’s right, the same stuff that stops bullets. And yet every 3-4 years I have to replace it because it is shredded by the SoCal sun.
Your over exposed skin, even with its rather magical regenerative and healing capabilities, doesn’t fare much better because of the inevitable effects of a sun induced process called “Solar Elastosis. Your fabulously strong highly organized, resilient, pliable and sexy collagen is broken down by the sun and replaced with short, stubby, disorganized and defective elastin fibers. Consequently your dermis thins and loses it structural integrity, causing your skin to wrinkle and sag. In extreme cases, so much of this defective elastin is created, that your skin actually thickens and becomes extremely wrinkled and leather like. Our patients that play on the senior PGA tour are perfect examples of how extensive sun exposure causes deeply wrinkled leathery skin. (Such wonderful people, with some of the most sun-damaged skin we have ever treated!)
If ugly looking sun-damaged skin isn’t bad enough, chew on this: 90% of skin cancers are caused by sun exposure. While Basal and Squamous Cell carcinomas are relatively minor issues, Melanoma is an outright killer that can easily and quickly spread throughout your entire body. Take this seriously; a small pea-sized spot of melanoma on your skin can spread (metastasize) to multiple organs in a matter of weeks.
So what’s a southern California gal or guy who loves the outdoors to do?
- First and foremost, love your life and do the things you love to do with passion and enthusiasm. I am serious about this; joy is an essential prerequisite to health. Do not diminish your joy in living because of a future possibility of a health challenge, especially one that can be minimized by simply being disciplined and smart.
- Be disciplined, smart and deliberate about minimizing direct sun exposure whenever possible.
- Sun-block sun-block sun-block sun-block. Applied religiously on a daily basis. Use at least spf 40 that is “broad spectrum” (blocks uva & uvb), and when playing outdoors apply it before you leave your home and again at high noon. Note: all sun-block creams lose their protective potency in 4-5 hours.
- Wear a hat with as wide a brim as you can tolerate, as well as long sleeves and long pants if sensible.
- Keep your skin well moisturized and hydrated. Did I mention sun-block?
- If anything on your skin looks suspicious, especially if anything has suddenly changed, don’t hesitate to see your dermatologist ASAP. If your skin has many spots and/or moles (nevi), take digital photos every 3-4 months so that you can verify and document changes that might be happening.
Finally, the good news: From our vantage point of over 13 years of conducting extensive research and performing over 65,000 advanced comprehensive skin treatments, we are certain that your skin has an enormous and natural regenerative capacity that can be tapped and stimulated. The expanding array of high-tech, state-of-the-art energy devices such as lasers, synergistically combined with a variety of natural and integrative modalities, allows for holistic customization of protocols to fit everyone’s skin on an individual basis. Whether you think your skin needs just a little “tune-up”, or whether you’ve concluded that your skin is a hopeless train-wreck, we have seen even the worst cases come back to life with fresher, younger, stronger, healthier and much more beautiful skin. We call this the physiological “rebirth” of your skin, which can be achieved without invasive procedures. Bottom line, your skin can physiologically function as it did when you were in much younger, rebuilding and “rebirthing” itself from the inside out. It doesn’t matter what caused the damage, cystic acne, melasma, rosacea, stretch marks, sun damage or aging, your skin can look years younger, healthier and more beautiful because it actually IS younger and healthier.
CALL AMA SKINCARE TODAY
for a free consultation
949.428.4500 or 310.460.2444